csh is root's shell?

Geoff Speicher geoff at speicher.org
Tue Oct 5 18:01:14 PDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 05:26:32PM -0700, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> --On Tuesday, October 05, 2004 5:19 PM -0700 David Wolfskill
> <david at catwhisker.org> wrote:
>
> >Well, per
> >http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/etc/master.passwd?rev=1.1&conte
> >nt-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup it looks as if /bin/csh was root's shell as
> >of Revision 1.1, Sun Jun 20 13:41:37 1993 UTC (11 years, 3 months ago) by
> >rgrimes.
> >
> >No, I didn't check to see if it had changed back & forth in the interim.
>
> Wow.  I must have been carrying my passwd files along with my upgrades
> since forever.  I don't have a single system that has csh as root's shell.

I imagine it was made the default because of its supposed friendly
interactivity features.  I personally find it quite the contrary (no
offense to Bill Joy of course), as do plenty of others.  Google on 'csh
considered harmful' for a compelling argument.

The nice part about having csh as the default root shell is that
it actually discourages use of the root login.  That nasty csh is
a constant reminder for me that I'm logged in as root and probably
shouldn't be.  ;)

Geoff