HEADS UP: named now runs chroot'ed by default

Doug Barton DougB at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 5 17:11:20 PDT 2004

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Tillman Hodgson wrote:

> How does chroot and NFS interact?

It is theoretically possible, but I would not do it for performance and
reliability reasons. If you are doing something useful with named on a
real network you will have enough variables that you cannot control
which will make your life difficult, I personally would not want to add
more pain to the mix that could be avoided. :)

If you want to share configs, share data, etc; then rsync, scp, etc. are
your friends. When I was at Yahoo! we had all the essential files in a
central CVS repo and I used makefiles with various targets to push them
out to the servers. This made updates, replication, installation, etc.
very easy with almost no room for error, and no external dependencies
other than the network and power for the individual name server.

Hope this helps,

Doug