5.3-BETA6 boot-time hang

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Oct 4 21:12:14 PDT 2004

In message: <20041005040604.GB875 at tomcat.kitchenlab.org>
            "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah at freebsd.org> writes:
: If memory serves me right, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
: > On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 08:39, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > > In message: <20041004152658.GB26211 at tomcat.kitchenlab.org>
: > >             "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah at freebsd.org> writes:
: >
: > > : I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.  The sources from which I
: > > : built my latest kernel are "fairly close" to 5.3-BETA7, but I'll burn
: > > : a CD from one of the official 5.3-BETA7 ISOs and boot from that to
: > > : reduce the variables involved.
: > >
: > > You could also just download the sources and test boot a new kernel.
: > > BETA6 -> BETA7 is so close you can even build it the 'traditional' way
: > > w/o a buildworld :-)
: >
: > The main issue preventing me from doing this right now is that the
: > machine in question happens to be my home desktop, ~40 miles away from
: > me at this moment.  It doesn't have remote console or power control, so
: > recovery from a hang would be kind of difficult.  :-)
:
: No joy...booting with the 5.3-BETA7 bootonly CD-ROM produces the same
: symptoms.
:
: I can live without a floppy drive on this machine, but I'm also more
: than happy to provide diagnostic information, run tests, etc., for
: you or anybody else interested in looking further into this.

What does your fdc line say?

Warner