New BIND 9 chroot directories

Garance A Drosehn gad at
Mon Oct 4 19:17:07 PDT 2004

At 6:25 PM -0700 10/4/04, Doug Barton wrote:
>On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
>>El Lunes, 4 de Octubre de 2004 22:10, Doug Barton escribió:
>>Really good work.  But, this is really needed?
>>I can't see why.
>Because running bind chrooted is considerably safer, and
>the defaults should be as safe as possible unless it is an
>inconvenience to the majority of our users.

Fwiw, I do believe it is better to have the chrooted setup
by default.  We're already making a significant change in
going from bind8 to bind9, so anyone running bind is going
to have to check over their machines anyway.  No one running
bind is going to be able to "blindly update" to 5.3-release.

We might as well go with the safer configuration by default,
because I would rather do it now than wait for 6.0-release.
After all, if this change is "too scary" to do for the first
release to be called 5.x-STABLE, then it must be too scary to
do for later releases in that STABLE branch.

Just my 2 cents.

Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad at
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad at