FreeBSD 5.3-BETA7 available

Andre Guibert de Bruet andy at siliconlandmark.com
Mon Oct 4 10:09:55 PDT 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:

> El Lunes, 4 de Octubre de 2004 16:10, Scott Long escribió:
>> The FreeBSD Release Engineering Team is proud to announce the
>> availability of FreeBSD 5.3-BETA7.  This is the seventh and final
>> BETA of the 5.3 release cycle.  It is intended for early adopters and
>> those wishing to help find and/or fix bugs.  The 5.3 release cycle
>> will follow on next with an RC1 release candidate unless significant
>> show- stopper bugs are found.  The schedule can be found at
>> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/schedule.html.  Be sure to check
>> the "Known Issues" below as there are known problems that are still
>> being worked on at this time.
>>
>> IMPORTANT:
>> BIND 9.3.0 has replaced BIND 8.x as the default name server.
>>

> At last here, BETA7 come with a populated /var/named.
<snip>

named is now chroot()ed to /var/named after it parses the command line but
before it reads the config file. As such, it is necessary to have this
directory structure. You can override its location with the
"named_chrootdir" rc.conf variable or by using -t at the command line if
you invoke named using your own scripts.

In our test environment, we migrated a good chunk of the domains that we
host on BIND8 to BIND9 with minimal work. The instructions listed in
UPDATING did the trick!

Regards,