/dev/md0 keeps mounting on /var

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Mon Oct 4 08:28:11 PDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 05:35:45PM +0300, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> For some time I keep getting /dev/md0 mounting on /var as the last mount
> when going to multi-user. The obvious result is that all services that
> use /var fail to start/function properly. Since I don´t use it I
> suppose I´ve done something wrong with mergemaster.
>
> The only workaround I´ve found is to rename /boor/kernel/g_md.ko.
>
> And since I just can´t fix this since ~ beta4 could someone point me
> where to look ?

This is proably happening because your /var is failing the writability
test in /etc/rc.d/var.  One situation I can of where this could happen
and you would otherwise have a valid /var would be if you have a
read-only NFS root and an NFS /var.  In that cause /var wouldn't be
mounted yet because mountcritremote wouldn't be run yet.  Is this or
something similar the case for you?  You can try setting varmfs="NO" and
populate_var="NO" in /etc/rc.conf to disable this script.

-- Brooks