5.3: /stand/ versus /rescue/ ?

Tim Kientzle kientzle at freebsd.org
Sun Oct 3 13:08:14 PDT 2004

/stand is largely defunct.  It is, I believe,
still used to bootstrap the CD-ROM installation, but
has no particular purpose after that point.

Most of these do have counterparts in /rescue
(e.g. -sh is redundant with sh, minigzip is
redundant with gzip, cpio with pax/tar, etc.)

sysinstall is in /usr/sbin now.

The point of /rescue is to provide a reliable
environment from which a broken /bin and /sbin
can be repaired.  That seems to boil down to
basic tools for locating and copying files
from various sources (to replace a hosed
shared library, for instance).

If there are things that should be in /rescue that
would be needed in certain scenarios, feel free to
propose additions or changes to /rescue.  Be prepared
to nominate deletions as well; very many people
think that /rescue is already too large.