Conclusion of thread "Deadlocks with recent SMP current"?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat Oct 2 13:08:20 PDT 2004

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 09:55:48PM +0200, Sascha Schumann wrote:
> [same message is in moderation queue]
>
>     Hi,
>
>     was there any conclusion to that thread?  I have got two
>     systems which are showing the exact same symptoms running
>     RELENG_5_2.  The busier one deadlocks regularly once a day.

Yes, this is believed to have been resolved in 5.3.

>     What is the recommended way to procede?  I don't want to
>     upgrade to RELENG_5 due to the experimental nature of the
>     network stack, gcc 3.4 integration and general dislike of
>     bleeding edge software for production systems. (and yes, the
>     freebsd 5 systems are inherited.)

So, you're running 5.2 on those systems, which was documented as a
development release and not recommended for use on production systems
(and indeed contained numerous rough edges and bugs), and you're
scared to update to 5.3 which is going to be designated as the
beginning of the 5.3-STABLE branch (and has had a couple of months of
extensive bugfixing and QA)?

You might want to consider re-evaluating your position.

Kris