bug report: AMD64, 5.3, sym driver

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Sun Nov 28 22:20:08 PST 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Aaron Wallace wrote:

> I believe that I've found a bug with the sym driver in AMD64.  I don't
> have this problem with 5.3 under i386.  I wasn't able to submit this
> report via web because the anti-spam code wasn't being recognized.
>
> The problem occurs during boot up / driver detect.  I get the following
> messages in bootup which I've manually copied:
>
> sym0: <810a> port 0x9000-0x90ff mem 0xea094000-0xea0940ff irq 12 at
> device 7.0 on pci1
> __sym_calloc2: failed to allocate HCB[4288]
> device_attach: sym0 attach returned 6

Oh yuck. The sym driver has its own memory allocator that caps allocations
at 1 page. Since PAGE_SIZE on amd64 is 4k, and the 64 bit resizing of the
structs puts the size over 4k, the struct will need some pruning.
(PAGE_SIZE is 8k on sparc64 (and alpha?) which is why this hasn't been
caught previously.)

You will have to use a different controller until the driver can be fixed.