mouse problems

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Fri Nov 19 09:14:44 PST 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Brooks Davis wrote:

> > I just need someone who has done this to tell me all the steps, if that's
> > ok.  If you read the mail archives, there are a large contingent of folks
> > who would be helped by this.
>
> There aren't any steps in the general case..  Both my USB mouse and my
> PS/2 mouse work fine with two moused's running:
>
> [8:20am] brooks at minya (~): ps ax | grep moused
>   394  ??  Ss     0:01.09 /usr/sbin/moused -p /dev/ums0 -I /var/run/moused.ums0
>   533  ??  Is     0:00.01 /usr/sbin/moused -p /dev/psm0 -t auto
>
> The PS/2 mouse is configured in /etc/rc.conf with the lines:
>
> moused_enable="YES"
> moused_flags=""
>
> and the USB mouse is handled by the default entrly in usbd.conf which is
> enabled in rc.conf with:
>
> usbd_enable="YES"

VERY good, thanks for the response, please work with me here.  First, I'm
working with a brand new amd64 install, so my etc is hopefully (and more
properly, my rc.conf) up to date, it has a mouse_ports, but not a
moused_flags at all, so you may be working witha customized etc ... no big
surprise.  I interpolated, tried your settings, on reboot I have no
/dev/psm0 device.  I looked at the psm man page, and I dolled up the
/boot/loader.conf as instructed.  on reboot, kenv reports what I would
want to see, but still no /dev/psm0 (which is why, I suppose, I have only
a single moused process running, the usbd.conf inspired one.  That one,
the mouse cursor still disappears the moment I touch the keyboard..

That info I did, I tried both with and without the atkbdc hint in the mail
archives.

I notice, btw, that the usb (ums0) gets probed by the kernel well, well
before rc.conf gets asked about psm0 ... I bet that timing is something
that, if I could change, might help things.  I would like the psm to get
started before the usb one.

> -- Brooks

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr at chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).