mouse problems

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Thu Nov 18 19:10:55 PST 2004

OK, I've done my homework this time, read all the mail archives, looked at
the man pages, I may not know the answer but I'm  not embarrassed to ask
anymore.  The assumption I'm working on is that there is a conflict
between the usb keyboard&mouse combination and a competing PS/2
keyboard/mouse combination.

[g'wan, correct me if I'm wrong, from the mail archives, there are a LOT
of folks who will be reading this, and you will be doing a lot of  olks a
big favor]

Just my own problem is on a amd64, but tit doesn't look to me like the
problem connects to that platform alone.  Apparently it connects more with
driver design/modifications; it has occurred sometime after 5.2.1 became
5.3, and affected a large range of users.

I would like now to experiment ... I was reading the man pages, the atkb
driver, and it appears that one can disable the PS/2 keyboard.  The
problem is, such a procedure is mildly dangerous; you might not be able to
reconnect, if you screw it up; you might have to reinstall.

Because of that, I would appreciate it if someone who has more recent
driver experience than I do would please help me (and all of the
community, believe me) by making me a full and (hopefully) correct task
list, things that need to be done, to turn off the PS/2 keyboard and
enable the usb keyboard (mouse also at the same time, please).  I will
take the risk and try it for us, but please take as much care as you can.
You do your best, and I promise not to come gunning after you if it breaks
anyhow.

Well, can I find any takers?

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr at chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).