/etc/ntp.conf doesn't exist

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 14 22:46:43 PST 2004

Nuno Teixeira wrote:
> Hello to all,
>
> I've noticed that /etc/ntp.conf doesn't exist. It's strange because
> exists an empty /etc/ntp directory instead.

I wonder if a very basic setup like below could serve this purpose, to
have a working conf file, but might need optimizing to local conditions
(server list, what to send to syslog etc.).

An additional advantage, by using the pidfile and driftfile keywords here,
the default ntpd_flags variable in /etc/defaults/rc.conf should become an
empty string.

   # Process ID file, so that the daemon can be signalled from scripts

   pidfile		/var/run/ntpd.pid

   # The correction calculated by ntpd(8) for the local system clock's
   # drift is stored here.

   driftfile	/var/db/ntp.drift

   # Public servers from the pool.ntp.org project. Volunteer's servers
   # are dynamically assigned to the CNAMES below via DNS round-robin.
   # The pool.ntp.org project needs more volunteers! The only criteria to
   # join are a nailed-up connection and a static IP address. For details,
   # see the web page:
   #
   #	http://www.pool.ntp.org/
   #

   server		0.pool.ntp.org
   server		1.pool.ntp.org
   server		2.pool.ntp.org

Maybe one more comment could be added here that it is better to choose
servers from a list of nearby time servers; although the manpage on
ntp.conf also can explain this.

Rob.