[TEST] make -j patch [take 2]

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Nov 12 13:24:48 PST 2004

In message <20041112210154.GA63387 at ns1.xcllnt.net>, Marcel Moolenaar writes:

>He likes a feature so he can control his make universe in a certain
>way. He isn't forcing his policy upon anybody, just a way for him to
>do it his way for himself. Now, if his way was totally bogus then I
>see grounds for unilaterally denying his request. This I don't see.

By default the -j argument is passed down to submakes, consequently
if you make submakes respect -j, then you negate the token-pool
because each submake will create its own pool.  QED: You're back
to where we started where "make -j 12" generates 65 jobs.

>A mechanism to allow a submake to become the first in a new set is
>an elementary feature that allows us to implement the old behaviour,
>good or bad, and if nothing else is just a simple way to cover our
>asses.

And that mechanism exists: remove the env var, give -j arg.

What we're talking about is how/if this should be used in "make
universe".