[TEST] make -j patch [take 2]

Alexander at Leidinger.net Alexander at Leidinger.net
Fri Nov 12 06:18:47 PST 2004

Zitat von Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>:

> At the very least, do not commit your patch until you have managed
> to come up with at least one instance of real world data where it
> is a good idea.

I followed the discussion so far, but I may have failed to see the obvious...

What happens if "make -j X" runs in a situation where portupgrade gets
called (e.g. a Makefile which runs some portupgrades in parallel for
a set of ports (without overlapping in the dependency graph))?

I assume from the discussion that the make which gets invoked by
portupgrade (without -j) will connect to the FIFO and attempt to build
some targets in parallel. Is this correct?

If yes: we have some ports which aren't -j safe, so this would violate
POLA.

Bye,
Alexander.