FW: Project evil

van Schalkwyk, Andre {PGIN~Kaiseraugst} andre.van_schalkwyk at ROCHE.COM
Fri Nov 12 03:32:54 PST 2004

Forgot to CC the list on the mail too.

cheers
andre

-----Original Message-----
From: van Schalkwyk, Andre {PGIN~Kaiseraugst}
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 2:45 PM
To: 'wpaul at freebsd.org'
Subject: Project evil

Hi Bill,

Firstly I would like to thank you for the great work you've put into this project. I think this is exactly what FreeBSD needs right now.

I've recently installed 5.3-release and I tried out the ndis thingum again. However, i'm still getting the following errors when loading the modules.

cardbus0: Expecting link target, got 0xff
cardbus0: Resource not specified in CIS: id=10, size=2000
ndis0: <ZyAIR G-100 Wireless LAN PC Card> mem 0x90000000-0x90001fff irq 11 at device 0.0 on cardbus0 can't re-use a leaf (BusType)!
ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.1
ndis0: NDIS ERROR: c000138a (unknown error)
ndis0: NDIS NUMERRORS: 1
ndis0: argptr: 0x502
ndis0: init handler failed
device_attach: ndis0 attach returned 6

# kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   12 0xc0400000 5cdad0   kernel
 2   14 0xc09ce000 537f0    acpi.ko
 3    1 0xc21bc000 17000    linux.ko
 4    2 0xc23f6000 d000     ndis.ko
 5    1 0xc2407000 17000    if_ndis.ko

# uname -a
FreeBSD  5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Fri Nov  5 04:19:18 UTC 2004     root at harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

As you can see, I'm using a ZyXEL ZyAIR G-100 card. This card is actually quite popular in europe as it's not too expensive and you can get them in many stores. It uses a Prism GT chipset and it's one of those cards that require the extra firmware to be loaded. As part of the driver package you get the .ARM file which contains the firmware. The WL54GT.ARM file i copied into /compat/ndis. If the file isn't there the if_ndis module bleats about it. It seems like the ARM file is read but i'm not 100% sure if it's used or not.

Currently the card is not working with the ndis thingum it seems.

Do you have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Best regards
André