FreeBSD4.10 + WCCP + Squid + gre

Raphael Maseko ralph at zamnet.zm
Tue Nov 9 23:57:00 PST 2004

Hi all,
I had posed this situation on the squid list but have not received any
response as it seems most of the users are using Linux. I hope I can get
some help with this audience.

I have installed FreeBSD 10.4 with IPFIREWALL and "pseudo-device gre "
enabled in the recompiled kernel. Since the documentation says that the
current version has “gre” that works with squid without additional patches,
I then proceeded with installation of squid 2.5 Stable 7 and edited the
squid.conf according to the FAQs.

I used the following for gre:

ifconfig gre0 create
ifconfig gre0 My_SQUID_IP MY_ROUTER_IP 255.255.255.255 up ifconfig gre0
tunnel My_SQUID_IP MY_ROUTER_IP route delete MY_ROUTER_IP

and the following for IPFW:

ipfw add 49 allow tcp from My_SQUID_IP to any
ipfw add 50 fwd 127.0.0.1,3128 tcp from any to any 80 via gre0 in

What I see happening when I do a tcpdump is that the router is forwarding
“gre” packets but are not being redirected by my 50 ipfw rule. Debug on the
router also confirms that the router sees the cache and sets it as "usable"

It looks like the last version of FreeBSD that I was able to successfully
configure Squid with WCCP was 4.6.2. I have tried to follow the postings on
the subject, but with no success.
Has anyone succeeded in implementing this? Please help!

Ralph