FreeBSD 6.0 and onwards

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sun Nov 7 01:42:36 PST 2004

In message <20041107093907.GK79646 at cirb503493.alcatel.com.au>, Peter Jeremy writes:
>On Sat, 2004-Nov-06 13:22:28 +0100, Samuel Tardieu wrote:
>>Wouldn't it also be a good time to reevaluate the development system?
>>New free software revision control systems such as GNU Arch are now
>>mature and could be used precisely for this kind of things.
>>
>>For those not knowing it, let me introduce GNU Arch by small examples
>>of what you can do with it:
>[ feature list elided ]
>
>What facilities are there to replicate the repository (ala CVSup or
>CTM)?  Publishing the repository is all very nice but doesn't help
>someone who wants off-line access.

Before anybody starts to even contemplate a new version control system
for FreeBSD, it would be wise to study the history of "libh".

If you have something in place which solves 90% of the problem and
people have adjusted to it and know how it works, it will be almost
impossible to replace it with something else, even if it the new
replacement does solve 100% of the problem.

For better or worse, we're stuck with CVS for the forseeable future
and there are so many other ways to better use the huge amount of
developer time it would cost to replace it.