-O2 with 5.3 world and kernel - is it officially supported?

Zoltan Frombach tssajo at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 6 19:19:01 PST 2004

David O'Brien has posted this on October, 25th

"We've been using '-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing' on all our 64-bit platforms
for quite a while now.  So I think it is field-tested enough to give it a
try on the 'i386' kernel also...."

Does it apply to the just released and announced FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE as
well? Or it is considered safe only for 6.0-CURRENT ? Does anyone know the
answer?

In case it is indeed safe to compile the 5.3 world and kernel with -O2, then
someone might want to change the text in /etc/make.conf ("Note also that at
this time the -O2 setting is known to produce BROKEN CODE due to bugs in
FreeBSD code.")

Please note that I do undearstand that it is not safe to use -O2
optimization for compiling ports. I am only talking about the FreeBSD 5.3
world and kernel. (Or at leaset the kernel - in case it is not yet a 100%
safe for world...)

Zoltan