Booting pearpc from CD.

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko Alex.Kovalenko at verizon.net
Thu Nov 4 10:50:54 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 13:30, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Doug White wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:
> >

> >>Good people,
> >>
> >>I can boot pearpc (PowerPC emulator) from .iso image file of the Darwin
> >>7.0.1, but not from CD, created from that image (or from any other CD
> >>for that matter). I have no problem booting pearpc on Linux from said
> >>CD.
> >>
> >>I seem to recall some discussion on this list regarding GEOMs handling
> >>of media boot block, but could not find any pointers.
> >>
> >>I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions on the subject.
> >>

> >I don't understand how FreeBSD is related to this.
> >

> he's trying to run it under FreeBSD.. works except when using the CD
> directly.

Thank you, Julian.

I guess, I do need to elaborate -- I am running pearpc emulator under
FreeBSD-current (as of 10/31) and it would not boot from CD, and I
believe that I have seen something on this list stating that GEOM (that
thingy we have for dealing with storage devices) is the reason, 'cause
'raw' devices are no longer that raw.

Unfortunately, I am unable to locate that thread, or maybe I did imagine
it altogether, so I would appreciate someone who knows GEOM
straightening me up.

Sorry for not being clear enough.

---
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko.