Random RC2 crashes

J Lachlan Kanaley kanaley at student.usyd.edu.au
Tue Nov 2 20:46:19 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 11:12:16PM -0500, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 11:17:48AM +1100, J Lachlan Kanaley wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am still experiencing random system lockups using a generic 5-RC2
> > system.  These seem to occur whenever the system is left unused for a
> > while.  I experienced similar problems with 5-BETA7 when doing a `make
> > world'.  There is no kernel panic, but the system no longer accepts
> > network connections and there is no response from the keyboard.  There
> > is nothing in the logs.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get some meaningful
> > information from this?  What should I turn on for debugging?
>
> Are you an X user or console user?  Do you have potential for turning
> on the serial console support?
>
> --
> Brian Fundakowski Feldman                           \'[ FreeBSD ]''''''''''\
>   <> green at FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \
>  Opinions expressed are my own.                       \,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,\

Just using console and ssh.  Unfortunately I don't have a serial cable.

It is a minimal install, with the following services enabled:

defaultrouter="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
hostname="..."
ifconfig_dc0="inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  netmask 255.255.255.0"
sshd_enable="YES"
apache2_enable="YES"
smbd_enable="YES"
nmbd_enable="YES"