HEADS UP: Ports are not ready for CFLAGS=-O2 in 6.0

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Tue Nov 2 16:05:10 PST 2004

On Wednesday, 3. November 2004 00:36, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 November 2004 16:20, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > (there are at least 350 ports that emit warnings about aliasing, and
> > would probably have runtime errors when compiled with -O2; moreover, a
> > number of ports fail to even build with -O2).
>
> Out of curiosity, are those ports like to have equivalents in Gentoo's
> "portage" system?  Those guys love to build with -O310 -fomit-instructions
> but their stuff seems to pretty much work.  Why do we seem to have so many
> problems with (presumably?) the same software on our system?

Without having seen the list of affected ports yet, it certainly depends.

I don't expect things like apache, gnome, kde, perl or other big mainstream
applications to be affected (KDE for example is developed to use -O2 by
default - it's what you get if you run just configure without C*FLAGS set),
but there are a lot of ports in our collection which are old, x86-centric and
never liked any of gcc's 3.x releases very much.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org