smp in RC2

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 2 10:51:12 PST 2004

On 2004.11.02 18:43:40 +0000, Pete Carss wrote:
> Hello all,
> 	Everything I've read about the 5.x series says that SMP is now
> automatic. I've just installed RC2 on a dual pentium pro compaq box, and
> it took a recompile of the kernel to get SMP working - is this as expected?

It was the default for a while, but has been removed from GENERIC.
The commit message was (see cvsweb [1]):

	To be safe for installs as well as providing the faster kernel for the
	majority of users shift GENERIC back to UP instead of SMP.  Provide
	a config file people with MP boxes can use.

[1] http://cvsweb.FreeBSD.org/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team