ACPI event testing needed

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon May 31 14:30:56 PDT 2004

> Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 00:38:32 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Nate Lawson <nate at root.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current at freebsd.org
>
> I've just finished a lot of work on acpi events (GPEs).  These drive
> things like the lid switch and device wake capabilities.  If your system
> works for suspend/resume, please make sure it still behaves correctly over
> multiple suspend/resume cycles.  If you're feeling adventurous, try the
> new wake sysctls:
>
> sysctl dev | grep wake
>
> By setting them to 0 or 1, you can enable/disable a device waking the
> system.  Note that non-ACPI devices are still not properly hooked in here
> so they won't work (i.e. sio or modems).  But you can change the lid
> independently of the sleep button, for example.
>
> Also, please be sure that your system still powers off correctly when
> shutdown.  I may have fixed some systems that didn't power off correctly
> as well.

Things are working pretty well on my trusty T30. System suspends and
resumes fine (with the jhb acpi_video_dpms patch). Only sound fails to
work properly after resume, but I've reported this in the past and I
still suspect it's a PCI issue as opposed to ACPI.

I did try the sysctl to disable wake on lid switch and it worked as
expected. I had to back out jhb's machdep_intr.c 1.6 patch to get the
system to complete a shutdown. With the patch in place, the shutdown
simply freezes after shutting down everything and syncing disks.

I still hope to get suspend/resume with working sound one day, but ACPI
seems really, really close. I am no longer seeing the interrupt issues
previously reported.

I have now repeatedly paused the system and resumed it with no obvious
ill effects. I have also suspended and resumed using Tobias Roth's
profile tool and the crashes previously seen with ACPI there are
gone. (Not that profile resumes cleanly yet, but Tobias is working on
the problems.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)