misc questions / comments / rambelings

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Mon May 31 10:45:33 PDT 2004

On Sun, 30 May 2004, asfdqwer xzcvdsf wrote:

>  I just moved from 5.2.1 to current and had
> a few comments.  Upgrading from 5.2.1 which first
> required me to upgrade config, which required
> me to upgrade flex.  None of these are documented
> in UPGRADING

Hm... that wasn't necessary the last time I tried it. I'll see if I can
reproduce.

>  Now that I'm running current is there anything
> special I have to change in make.conf?  Should
> I still have to define "WITH_THREADS" and
> "WITH_LIBMAP" or do the ports autorecognize
> the kse --> pthreads change?

As long as your ports tree is up to date and you don't have anything
threads-related in /etc/make.conf or /etc/libmap.conf, you should be ok.
You will have to rebuild anything that uses threads, though, and that
includes XFree86.  If you have kde and/or qt installed it gets a little
more complicated.

> I've also had a few problems with a mammoth
> drive my box.  When ever I tried to restore
> a large tar to disk the machine would crash
> hard.  This was when I was running 5.2.1, I
> haven't tried current yet.

Not sure what you mean here, more detail would be nice.