Softupdates a mount option?

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Wed May 26 13:30:12 PDT 2004

At 9:15 PM +0200 2004/05/26, Ivan Voras wrote:

>  This has been really nagging me for a long time: Why aren't softupdates
>  made a mount option (like 'sync' and 'async')? Do I remember correctly
>  that it is done so in NetBSD (where it's called softdeps), so it's doable?

	You need to read the documentation from Kirk.  In short, this was
intentional -- the goal is that this feature will be turned on
permanently, at which point there's no sense in having yet another
useless mount option laying around.  IIRC, the license is written
such that you are not *allowed* to make this a mount option, for this
reason.

	Kirk is really serious about this.  You should read the Ganger &
Platt paper, as well as the other documentation written by Kirk on
this subject.