Dump size calculation borked? May 24 current i386

John Brann john at brann.org
Tue May 25 07:11:23 PDT 2004

Hi,

My nightly dump produced strange output I have never seen before:

DUMP: Date of this level 2 dump: Tue May 25 05:00:01 2004
DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: Sun May 23 05:00:01 2004
DUMP: Dumping snapshot of /dev/ad0s1a (/) to standard output
DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
DUMP: estimated 16561 tape blocks.
DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
DUMP: 99.99% done, finished soon
DUMP: 99.99% done, finished soon
DUMP: 99.99% done, finished soon
DUMP: 99.99% done, finished soon
DUMP: 99.99% done, finished soon
DUMP: 99.99% done, finished soon
DUMP: 99.99% done, finished soon
DUMP: 99.99% done, finished soon
DUMP: 99.99% done, finished soon
DUMP: 99.99% done, finished soon
DUMP: 99.99% done, finished soon
DUMP: 99.99% done, finished soon
DUMP: DUMP: 16687 tape blocks
DUMP: finished in 13 seconds, throughput 1283 KBytes/sec
DUMP: level 2 dump on Tue May 25 05:00:01 2004
DUMP: DUMP IS DONE

The problem appears to be in dump's size calculation - the duration of the
dump (13 seconds) is about right.

Filesystems being dumped were mounted.  Some have softupdates enabled,
the example above does not. The same symptom appears on both.

jbdesk:john>mount
/dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/ad0s1e on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s1f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s1d on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)

The dump images produced seem to be ok - restore doesn't barf on them and
a restore -x to some scratch space produced believable output.

The dump of my /usr partition produced more than 1850 of these '99.99%
complete' messages in a 525 second dump.

I cvsupped CURRENT yesterday, built and installed kernel and world without
problems.

jbdesk:john>uname -v
FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #17: Mon May 24 13:05:18 EDT 2004     root at jbdesk.brann.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/JBDESK

Regards,