lang/ezm3 "runtime error: Segmentation violation..."

P.D. Seniura pdseniura at techie.com
Mon May 24 13:35:50 PDT 2004

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: Alex Dupre <ale at FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:00:30 +0200
To: Paul Seniura <pdseniura at techie.com>
Subject: Re: lang/ezm3 "runtime error: Segmentation violation..."

> Paul Seniura wrote:
> > I'm including a snip of my portupgrade log for lang/ezm3 below.
> > I can't get past this point.  Could someone offer ideas, please?
>
> Same problem here with -O2, no problem with plain -O gcc flag.

Thank you for helping.

Do we blame the code or the compiler?

-Current's system compiler is a snapshot: my CTM-updated /usr/bin/gcc -v shows 3.3.3 date 20031106.  GNU's website shows 3.3.3 went GM in February 2004.  We don't have an official 3.3.3 yet.

On the ports side, my CTM-updated lang/gcc33 is a snapshot from earlier this month May 2004.  I don't know what GNU's official status is; I imagine all their efforts were being put into 3.4.0 --

My CTM-updated lang/gcc34 shows it being a snapshot in mid-April 2004, but GNU's website says 3.4.0 went GM about a week later.  We don't have an official 3.4.0 yet.

I've just this minute finished proving a bug with -Current's system gcc:  Compile x11/XFree86-4-libraries with -Os and you'll get an undefined compiler label .L91 in libXaw and -only- that lib, others are okay.  Afterwards, anything that links with -lXaw stops portupgrade immediately with Error 1.  Compiling the libs again (after cleaning) with -O2 and everything links properly (no .L91 problem).  So far.

I've just about convinced myself to once again try the lang/gcc* ports, but we need them to be caught-up to the Releases, as testing the snapshots left a bad taste/odor (I wrote about it quite a bit, should be in the maillist archives, including why I'm bent on using -Os ;) .

If you can't trust your compiler, what _can_ you trust?

> --
> Alex Dupre

(BEfore anyone gripes about me cross-posting, I don't know which list should handle this, as our compiler problems are related to -Ports *and* -Current.)

  --  thx, Paul Seniura.