link up/link down on ndis0

Phil Schulz ph.schulz at gmx.de
Sun May 23 04:30:35 PDT 2004

> Hello List!
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p7 on a Centrino laptop and I'm
> trying to get the integrated WLAN adaptor to work. I've built the
> NDISulator (using the WinXP driver that came w/ the laptop) based on
> information I found on the web and in the archives of this list [1], [2].
> However, I can't seem to get the ndis0 interface to work. I'm trying
> to integrate my laptop into the home network. The network is a small,
> wired home network with around 10 hosts and one access point which
> sits right next to my laptop here on my desk. Below you can find the
> steps I'm doing. I'm sort of wondering what the 'ndis0: link down'
> message means which I see on the console. The access point is less
> than 3ft away from the laptop so I don't think it's a signal issue. Is
> my access point mis-configured or am I doing things wrong on the laptop?
> I'm sorry if I could have solved this myself but this is the first
> time I'm touching a WLAN.

For the sake of the archives... I also gave the ipw-driver a try and I
discovered that the laptop doesn't turn on the radio transmitter by
itself. Instead there is a button which, as expected, does not work
under FreeBSD. I found the source code for a Linux kernel module which
allows the user to control the RF module. I'll see where I can go from
there...

Phil.