GEOM portable filesystem abstraction?

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu May 20 13:16:54 PDT 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 04:08:29PM -0400, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that anyone should
> write another abstraction layer and then port UFS to it
> and force everyone to use this slower version of the UFS
> filesystem by default. I'm simply suggesting that it might
> be useful (for things like portable devices or dual boot
> machines) to be capable of using a slightly slower filesystem
> that can be compiled as a loadable kernel module on multiple
> architectures and operating systems.
>
> I'd personally take the speed hit gladly if I *knew* that
> I could put a version of FreeBSD's GBDE encrypted filesystem
> on my 32gig 2.5" external USB 2.0/firewire hard disk and
> read/write it successfully under Windows, MacOSX, Linux,
> FreeBSD, etc...
>
> FAT32 does this already, but without the encryption, and
> without the reliability, scalability, speed, or durability
> of a real modern filesystem. I can't even really fsck FAT32
> from FreeBSD, much less defrag it.

If we had HFS+ in the base it would do most of that other then the
encryption which would require a port of GBDE (though porting all of
GEOM isn't the only way to do that).  I've got a friend who uses HFS+ as
his PC/Mac compatability FS because it sucks less then FAT and there are
decent third party drivers for Windows.

-- Brooks