Sio & Puc memory mapped

Bruce Evans bde at zeta.org.au
Wed May 12 12:49:09 PDT 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Roman Kurakin wrote:

>     Does any body workin on support for memory mapped serial adapters?
> As I understand puc (4) allows to add support for such card, but sio (4)
> cant
> serve them any way.
>     If nobody doesn't, why so? If no one of developers bother, does anybody
> wants this support?

There is little need for it, because it is normal for pci 16550 cards to
have i/o-mapped memory (possibly both memory-mapped and i/o mapped).

I have uncommitted changed to use memory-mapped i/o for accessing the data
registers only, since memory mapped i/o tends to be faster.  Implementing
memory-mapped i/o more generally is easier.

Bruce