Multiple console support for loader(8)

Gavin Atkinson gavin.atkinson at ury.york.ac.uk
Sun May 9 11:58:59 PDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> For a while I have been frustrated that the /boot.config -D option only
> works for the boot1/2 and has no effect in the loader.
>
> http://www.devrandom.co.uk/freebsd/bootmulti.diff contails patches to
> support multiple consoles in the loader, and allows a single -D option
> in /boot.config to give dual console support to the bootblocks, the
> loader and the kernel.

OK, I've had a lot of positive feedback about this both on and off the
list so have gone ahead and finished the patch off. I've updated the file
at http://www.devrandom.co.uk/freebsd/bootmulti.diff and submitted PR
kern/66425 to keep track of it. I have included the same changes to the
PC98 code (although this is untested) and have updated boot(8) and
loader(8). I have not touched other platforms as I have no idea if they
need it, but I suspect amd64 may need similar changes. I'm happy to code a
patch for this if someone will confirm that it is necessary.

Gavin