current crashes...

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 6 11:11:16 PDT 2004

On Thursday 06 May 2004 10:17 am, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently cvsupped the current and my proxy server is crashing
> ever 1-2 days... I have been running memtes86, it went through 5 runs
> over the memory and nothing came up. I am now trying some other
> programs. Can anybody give any hints or a web page which might explain
> what to do next?

> cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
> fault virtual address   = 0x8
> fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc057284b

It's a NULL pointer dereference of some type.  Is this on a debug kernel?  If
not, build a debug kernel and get the machine to crash again.  Then save the
instruction pointer value (0xc0527284b above) and do the following:

# cd /sys/i386/compile/FOO
# gdb -k kernel.debub
gdb> l *0xc0527284b

To find out where it crashed.  Also, try running with INVARIANTS turned on.