Updated SATA support patches for Intel ICH & Promise cards

David Schultz das at FreeBSD.ORG
Wed May 5 13:09:15 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004, Sren Schmidt wrote:
> David Schultz wrote:
> >I have two SATA drives that are mirrored via ccd(4).  The
> >mirroring apparently introduced some sort of race that led to
> >problems, which started when ATAng was committed.  The specific
> >symptoms changed as the ata driver evolved, and varied from kernel
> >panics in the best case and data corruption in the worst case.
> >But the details of the problem aren't as important as the fact
> >that some aspect of Doug's patch fixes them!
>
> Have you considered using atacontrol to create an ATA RAID instead ?
> Does that work ? on an unpatched kernel ?

This is an Intel 875P motherboard, and I think the controller only
supports striping, not mirroring.  If this is not the case, I'd
happily try it, although it would take a while for me to find the
time to back up and migrate my data if there are any
incompatibilities.

Nevertheless, this completely skirts the issue that there are
races in the ata driver that are exacerbated by using ccd(4).
ATA RAID would only be a workaround.