kenv enhancement

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 4 12:28:40 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 02:11 am, Danny Braniss wrote:
> > On Saturday 01 May 2004 08:22 am, Danny Braniss wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > 	I propose to bring back some lost options to kenv, -c and -s
> > > ie,
> > > 	kenv -c class [-s]
> > > so that
> > > 	kenv -h is equivalent to kenv -c hint.
> > > and
> > > 	kenv -c boot.nfsroot. -s
> > > gives:
> > > nfshandle="X9ca48b3f5b77454e0c00000002000000bfa306310000000000000000000
> > >0000 0X" path="/d/6"
> > > server="132.65.16.100"
> > >
> > > the 'enhanced' kenv is in
> > > 	ftp://ftp.cs.huji.ac.il/users/danny/freebsd/kenv/
> > >
> > > danny
> >
> > I rototilled this a bit to make it use the existing style.  I also
> > renamed 'class' to prefix since you can do things like 'kenv -p kern -s'
> > to get interesting output like:
> >
> > el="kernel"
> > el_options=""
> > elname="/boot/kernel/kernel"
> >
> > :-P
> >
> > One thing to note is that 'kenv -p foo' is basically the same as
> > 'kenv | grep ^foo', and that 'kenv -p foo -s' is basically the same as
> > 'kenv | sed -ne '/^foo/{s///;p;}'.  Generally new options aren't added to
> > programs if they can be easily duplicated via a simple pipeline.  Is
> > there a reason that you need kenv to do this explicitly rather than using
> > sed or grep?
>
> We use it very early in the boot process - rc.d/initdiskless, and
> /usr might not be mounted - not true in my particular case though.
> BTW, the flags I used are the same that once were in kenv and somewhere
> down the road were removed.

Do you know when they were in kenv?  Those flags don't appear in any of the
versions in CVS and, it is actually a fairly recent program:

revision 1.1
date: 2000/07/08 08:33:40;  author: peter;  state: Exp;
branches:  1.1.2;
Initial kenv(1) hack for dumping the kernel environment.  This can be
used to extract modified boot hints to make loader(8)-time changes
"sticky".  It tries to use \ style quoting so that it can be used directly
with foo.conf files.  It can also extract specific variables.