GEOM Gate committed!

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 4 03:38:56 PDT 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 12:20:28PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
+> On Mon, 3 May 2004 23:55:23 +0200
+> Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at freebsd.org> wrote:
+>
+> > Thing to note: ggated(8) is absolutely GEOM-unaware and not FreeBSD
+> > specific at all. It is a simple network daemon that opens given device
+> > or file and read from/write to it, that's all. So it should be really
+> > trivial to port it to other operating systems and exports disk devices
+> > from them.
+>
+> If I export a device (e.g. /dev/vinum/a_lot_of_space) rw via ggated, am
+> I allowed to mount it locally too (e.g. for exporting it via samba too)?
+> >From what you told above I don't think so. Would it be hard to make this
+> possible? What about more than one client which accesses a device in rw
+> mode?

It should be possible, but more than one consumer with RW access isn't
a good idea (think of it as of any other disk device opened for write
by more than one consumer, GEOM doesn't allow this by default, because
it is just evil, there are no synchronization and there can't be any,
because from disk device perspective we know nothing about file system
on it, etc.). I don't prevent this, because you can use ggatec with many
paths, for example you have 3 Fast Ethernet links to machine with device
to export:

	# ggatec create -u 5 10.0.0.1 /dev/da0
	# ggatec attach -u 5 192.168.0.1 /dev/da0
	# ggatec attach -u 5 192.168.1.1 /dev/da0

so you should get 3x100Mb/s transfer.

+> Do you intend to MFC ggated (or to make it a separate tarball, to make
+> it more easy to use it on different systems too)?

Not really, because I don't be able to test it on other operating systems.
But if someone want to do this, I can help.

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl