"user/group _pflogd:_pflogd" what's with the _ ?

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Wed Jun 30 10:51:45 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 30 June 2004 19:43, Jorge Mario G. wrote:
> Hi there
> well
> I dont know if pflogd requires the user/groupe to be
> _pflogd.  But if not why the _ ???
> from "our" point of view is ugly and "adds"
> complication. aslo the standard of freebsd is normal
> understandable usernames.

The discussion about this took place on -current before I did the commit.

"_" is a legal character in an user/groupname. Many people also stated that
they prefer "_<service>" as it makes things clear. I personally have no
strong opinion one way or the other, but it's noteable less work (for me)
when the username is the same as in OpenBSD.

I don't see how "_pflogd" is less understandable than "pflogd" and neither do
I see any complication.

Best regards,				| mlaier at freebsd.org
Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661
http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/	| mlaier at EFnet