Does -CURRENT's gcc generate ___tls_get_addr under any

Doug Rabson dfr at nlsystems.com
Sun Jun 27 03:02:54 PDT 2004

On Sunday 27 June 2004 05:18, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 04:39:33PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:

> > > By whom?  I've done the part I committed to. Yet I've heard
> > > nothing else about TLS in the two weeks after it was possible to
> > > start work on the next part.
> >
> > Doug Rabson has partly working TLS in p4 and last I heard was
> > awaiting some comments from the nvidia people who would be our
> > first users of TLS.
>
> DFR has TLS particially working on i386-only (and in a way that
> didn't need a Binutils upgrade to 2.15...).  i386-only isn't
> acceptable, and the deal with me if I went thru all the work to do a
> binutils upgrade was that others would come along after that and make
> TLS work on all FreeBSD platforms.

Please, anyone who has time and hardware, look at (and fix) branches/kse
in P4. I have typed in stubs for most architectures but the only
non-i386 arch which is even close to compiling is ia64. The document
http://people.redhat.com/drepper/tls.pdf is an invaluable source for
the details of TLS on any particular architecture. There are simple
test cases in tools/regression/tls.

I believe that with the new binutils and existing compiler, support
should be possible for i386, ia64 and amd64. The others probably need
gcc 3.4.