geom_vinum problems (crashes and lockups)

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jun 26 12:35:33 GMT 2004

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 02:07:03PM +0200, Lukas Ertl wrote:
+> This is a situation that I currently consider 'unsupported'.  The problem
+> is that the 'd' partition has no offset, thus it is (from the point of
+> view of a geom_vinum drive geom) the same as the 'c' partition.  This is
+> the first problem.  The second problem is the on-disk format of a
+> bsdlabel.  As far as I understand it, this meta-data is stored inside
+> the first partition, so when you open the drive for writing (i.e.
+> mount, fsck) you trigger a spoil event which cause all kinds of confusion
+> for geom_vinum.

I don't know exactly what problems you got, but maybe it can help you:
To avoid spoiling and metadata changes under me, I'm opening every
provider, which I want to use in geom_mirror (r1w1e1), even if provider
which I create isn't yet opened.

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl