HEADS UP: SACK committed to HEAD

Daniel Lang dl at leo.org
Fri Jun 25 06:17:22 PDT 2004

Hi Kevin,

liamfoy at sepulcrum.org wrote on Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 11:24:01AM +0200:
[..]
> > > I just commited the work done at Yahoo! to implement SACK in our tcp
> > > stack.  Please report any bugs or problems and we'll work on getting
> > > them addressed.
[..]
> What is SACK anyone?
[..]

"Selective Acknowledgement", it allows a host/router to explicitly
acknowledge TCP segments and retransmit them, such that if a
segment gets lost, it can be retransmitted from the last hop
instead of the connection endpoint, which would result in a much
larger delay. Especially if you have wireless links, SACK
can be a huge improvement.

Please correct/elaborate, I'm not sure if I got that entirely
right, except for the idea. ;-)

Best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock                  - Soon I will be free, then hungry. -
 Daniel Lang * dl at leo.org * +49 89 289 18532 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/