ppp with dynamic IPs and ipfw "me"

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Jun 17 10:17:39 GMT 2004

Brad Knowles wrote:
 > At 11:36 AM +0200 2004-06-17, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > [...]
 > >  You can do that automatically with a ppp.linkup script.
 >
 > 	IIRC, there are a variety of shell scripts that have been posted
 > to perform this function on the comp.protocols.time.ntp newsgroup.
 >
 > 	We should probably take those and work them into a more
 > standard/robust form and include those in the contrib/ directory in
 > the tarball.  That way, not only could they be used with FreeBSD, but
 > they could also be used with other OSes which incorporate ntpd into
 > their standard startup procedures (e.g., MacOS X).
 >
 > 	Disclaimer: I am a contributor to ntp.org, and I'm theoretically
 > responsible for certain scripts found in the BIND contrib/ directory,
 > but I don't think that this is an area that I'd be
 > interested/willing/able to handle myself for NTP.  If you've got
 > something to contribute in this area, I'd be glad to work with you
 > and the other contributors to get that incorporated.

Uhm, well, in my /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup script I simply
"killall ntpd" and then restart it with the options
from my /etc/rc.conf.  It's not really a big deal.

If there's a better, cleaner approach to the problem,
I'd certainly like to hear about it as well.

Regards
   Oliver

"The scanf() function is a large and complex beast that often does
something almost but not quite entirely unlike what you desired."
        -- Chris Torek