Custom kernels causing Promise ATA RAID to go down

Allan Fields bsd at afields.ca
Wed Jun 16 19:11:09 GMT 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 08:54:34PM +1000, Alastair G. Hogge wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 June 2004 15:56, Allan Fields wrote:
> [snip]
> > I've also experienced instability with Promise RAID controllers in
> > the past but didn't ever use a GENERIC kernel.  I'm interested in
> > this issue, but don't know if it's related.
> OK Update.
>
> I've been nuking /usr/obj and cvsuping and rebuilding world every day since
> back on the 6th of June. Finaly today the 16 of the June, after a rebuild
> world/kernel my custom kernel no longer brings the array down. Happy happy
> joy joy :-)

That's good news.  How long has it been running w/o crash, long enough
to say the issue is resolved?  Some recent SATA changes to
sys/dev/ata/ata-{pci,chipset}.c might be to credit, considering you
are using a SATA RAID chipset.

> Also a bonus, ACPI now powerdown(s) the system without fail.

Related ACPI issue: can you enter S3 sleep and resume with-out
loosing the array?  That was one problem I was having with the
FastTrack (ATA RAID) controller.

--
 Allan Fields, AFRSL - http://afields.ca
 2D4F 6806 D307 0889 6125  C31D F745 0D72 39B4 5541