Bogus signal handler causes kernel panic (5.2.1-p8/i386)

Marc UBM Bocklet ubm at u-boot-man.de
Wed Jun 16 11:51:07 GMT 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:57:06 +0200
Simon Barner <barner at in.tum.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried the local denial of service attack described in [1], that was
> reported for Linux 2.4 and 2.6 some days ago (see [2] for the original
> thread in linux.kernel)  on my FreeBSD 5.2.1-p8 system.
>
> The result is a kernel panic (back trace attached).
>
> Since des@ told me in a private mail, that he could not reprocduce the
> panic on -CURRENT, I'd like to ask how to proceed from here.
>
> Is the problem known to be fixed in current?
> Is somebody able to reproduce this on FreeBSD 5.2.1 (I am sorry,
> upgrading to -CURRENT is out of question for me)?

I just did a "gcc crash.c" and ran the resulting a.out. I assume that is
the right way to compile it? (I have no experience with those things).

Nothing happened, the program did not even dump core, I just got lots of
weird screen output. I ran it both as root and as a normal user.

I'm running:

FreeBSD greatsheep 5.2.1-RELEASE-p8 FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p8 #3: Sun Jun
13 03:22:44 CEST 2004
sheep at greatsheep:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SUBMARINE_SMP  i386

I've attached my kernel config and my dmesg.

Hope that helps. :-)

Bye
Marc