Minor HEADSUP - "New order" for newsyslog

Garance A Drosehn gad at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 14 17:56:53 GMT 2004

At 10:00 AM +0200 6/14/04, Brad Knowles wrote:
>At 6:41 PM -0400 2004-06-13, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
>
>>  So, maybe something like "log.t2004f14a" instead of "log.0".
>>  I could obviously spell out the time more, but that would
>>  be an even longer suffix...
>
>	Could this be a configuration option?  For maximum
>compression, maybe base64 the ctime, but for maximum
>readability use YYYY-MM-DD?

Several people have mentioned alternate formats that they would
like to see, so I plan to have some flexibility in the format.
Since I have not implemented it yet, I cannot say just how flexible
it might be...  :-)

Note that my original example is not base64 of the ctime.  It
is "base26" (using just the alphabet) for the month and the
hour, but standard decimal for the year and the day.  So, it
is still somewhat readable once you get used to it.  But I do
intend to support some alternate formats.

Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad at FreeBSD.org