panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 14 17:11:27 GMT 2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Ronald Klop wrote:

> I'm getting this panic 'panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc'.  It happens on
> -CURRENT, since quite some time.  It happens when doing an rsync from a
> remote server to my secondary disk.  (ad2,master on ata1), there is no
> slave on this controller.  And it always happens, so it is very
> repeatable.  Is this probably a hardware failure? Or software?

"dup alloc" tends to be a common symptom of races or other corruption
(improper zeroing of memory, etc).  One thing I might recommend doing, if
you haven't done it already, is to boot to single-user and do a manual
fsck of the drive experiencing the problem to help identify if on-disk
corruption is the source.  It might well be useful to log the results of
that fsck to a log file (perhaps in an md memory backed file system) to
include in a follow-up if there's anything interesting.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research