HEADS UP! KSE needs more attention

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Mon Jun 7 23:10:21 GMT 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:42:13PM +0100, Doug Rabson wrote:

> > > Which one is static bound
> >
> > The executable; you know, no rtld. What I call complete executable to
> > distinguish it from static TLS on my page. Does static TLS work?
> >
> > See also: http://wiki.daemon.li/index.pl?ThreadLocalStorage
>
> No, this one is not yet supported. I think I can deal with this inside
> libc with some small support from the kernel (probably just to provide
> details of the TLS segment size etc.)

Ok, thanks. BTW, I was thinking along the same lines, although it
looks from your description that I probably wanted to put more of
the meat in the kernel to avoid making the startup code complex
and possibly pessimizing non-TLS processes.

Anyway: From my PoV, static TLS is not critical enough to force it
in 5.3, but it is important enough to have soon after that.

FYI,

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net