esd leaking file descriptors

Brian Feldman green at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 7 17:24:33 GMT 2004

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 10:47:09AM +0200, Stefan Ehmann wrote:
> When i run mpg321 -o esd foo.mp3 (or any other player that uses esd as
> output) lsof shows an increasing number of open files. It increases at a
> rate of about 50 files per second. System will run out of file
> descriptor eventually.
>
> I run CURRENT from yesterday.
> esound-0.2.34       A sound library for enlightenment package
>
> The same version of esound runs fine on another pc running an older
> current. So this seems to be a problem of current rather than esd.

Check if esd is encountering exceptional conditions with the ktrace
facility.  You will wnat to run esd with ktrace(1) and then use
kdump(1) to view the log of system calls.  The other PC probably
also doesn't have the same hardware, so it's not so easy to see if
it's just a bug in -CURRENT.

  <> green at FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \