Is there still sufficient reason for hw.ata.atapi_dma being 0 by default?

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at portaone.com
Fri Jul 30 05:00:13 PDT 2004

Since high-speed CD-RW/DVD-RW recorders (32x - 52x) are commodity now
IMO it makes sense to review hw.ata.atapi_dma default of 0, since
apparently PIO mode can't support necessary sustained data transfer
rates anymore. For example I had had problems burning RWs on 16-24x with
several drives in PIO mode, which gone when I've switched to DMA.

I easily imagine newbies who make a conclusion that "FreeBSD sucks"
after installing FreeBSD and finding that they can't burn CDs, while
other operating system do it without any problems.

-Maxim