CVSUP and 5.2.1 RELEASE

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Wed Jul 14 15:04:13 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 2004-07-14 04:14 pm, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> Certainly.  Let's say the people in one jail are running a special package
> which depends on certain versions of various utilities or library
> versions.  And people in a different jail are running a different package
> which has a different set of dependencies.  Bingo.  These jails must be
> built with different snapshots of the userland.

Is running a userspace that doesn't match the loaded kernel a supported
configuration, defined as "one not likely to bite you in the butt"?

Even if someone wants that setup, surely it's inadvisable for someone to
build a jail that's running a newer version of the OS then the host
environment, isn't it?  And wouldn't that be the only reason you'd ever do
"make world DESTDIR=/foo" instead of:

   # make buildworld
     ... appropriate intermediate steps
   # make installworld
   # make installworld DESTDIR=/foo

I don't want to be argumentative, so please don't take it that way.  I'm
genuinely interested in the subject and want to know how other people are
maintaining their systems.
--
Kirk Strauser