Rewrite cvsup & portupgrade in C

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Thu Jul 8 06:32:32 PDT 2004

On Thursday 2004-07-08 07:38 am, cpghost wrote:

> Actually, there are some network daemons written in Perl, Python, Java,
> ... probably also in Ada or Modula-3. They are great for their intended
> use, but they are generally not used in production environments with high
> requirements.

I used Python to write a bridge adapter between my company's Unix servers
and Windows databases and it's been running uninterrupted for several
months in a rather demanding environment.  Of course, the plural of
"anecdote" isn't "data", so take that with a grain of salt.

I do almost all new development in Python.  Frankly, I don't trust my own
abilities to catch every single stupid error that I'm likely to make when
writing in C, and my personal throughput is much higher in Python than C.
Having said that, one of the things that attracted me to Python is that
it's trivially easy to write specific functions in other languages
(including C) where appropriate, so you can use a nice, high-level language
for the parts where performance isn't critical, but some tightly optimized
C for the essential components.

Freenet is written in Java, although that's not a shining example of a sleek
application.  The BitTorrent tracker and most common client apps are
written in Python.  The maintainer of Leafnode has discussed writing the
new version in Python.  There's not a huge groundswell yet, but servers in
high-level languages are starting to trickle in.
--
Kirk Strauser