HEADSUP: ibcs2 and svr4 compat headed for history

Peter Jeremy PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au
Fri Jul 2 02:00:16 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-Jun-29 22:37:48 -0400, Vladimir Dyuzhev wrote:
>  I don't know how it should be and if it possible at all.
>  What I thought about is something like:
>
>  1. Functionality A is broken. Nobody has time to fix it
>     right now. Too bad.

This is the stage we are at today.

>  2. Someone who knows the code gives a time estimation for
>     the A. Like "to fix it we need about 500 mh".
>  3. This estimation (adjusted up ~30%) is
>     published on FreeBSD "need users help" page.
>  4. Users that need A register and say things like "I'd pay
>     $N for that (not later then Nov 1)".
>  5. When (and if) the critical amount is registered the task
>     is assigned to one of the core(?) developers and users are
>     asked to actually do what they preached -- transfer money.
>     (Some would refuse; 30% correction above would hedge it).

You can't just arbitrarily assign (paid) work to a FreeBSD developer.
The developer may not be in a position to accept money (especially if
it is from 30 different people and in a dozen different currencies) or
might not have the expertise in that area or might not agree with the
time estimate or the monetary value of the work.

I think a somewhat more workable process is:
  2. Someone who knows the code gives a monetary quote for fixing A.
     Like "to fix it would cost you USD20,000".
  3. This quote published on a FreeBSD "need users help" page.
  4. Users that need A register and say things like "I'd pay
     $N for that (not later then Nov 1)".
  5. When (and if) the critical amount is registered the person
     undertakes the work and gets the money.

Even this has lots of problems:
a) Where does the list of tasks and quotes get published?  It's not
   clear that www.FreeBSD.org is the correct place.
b) Who decides whether a particular quote should be published?
   What if well-known-and-respected developer X quotes $10000
   and little-known-and-junior developer Y quotes $8000?  Or
   maybe Z offers a few extra features and year's maintenance but
   wants $12000.
c) Who manages the user pledges?  Do the users pay up front or
   on delivery?  (Who takes the risk?)
d) Who handles disputes?  What is the delivered code isn't what
   (some of) the users expected?

>  6. Developers have smth for living and users have their
>     beloved functionality. Everybody's happy.

Alternatively:  Developer produces something that he believes
meets the requirements but users complain that some critical
(but vaguely defined) item doesn't work correctly and refuse
to pay.  Nobody's happy.

--
Peter Jeremy